Navigation
  •  

Here is Trump’s first tweet after Iran ballistic missile strike on US bases

President Donald J. Trump in the White House Situation Room. (Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead)
January 07, 2020

President Donald Trump appeared to claim the U.S. has suffered no casualties in the aftermath of Iranian ballistic missile attacks on two U.S. bases in Iraq.

In his first tweet since the Iranian missile attacks, Trump said “All is well!” He went on to say an assessment of casualties and damage is still underway, but the reports are “So far, so good!”

“We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!,” Trump continued before indicating he will provide a more complete statement on the attacks Wednesday morning.

Several of the missiles fired from Iran reportedly did not hit their intended targets.

Earlier Tuesday evening, the Pentagon confirmed dozens of ballistic missiles fired from Iran had landed near U.S. military bases at Al-Assad and Irbil.

“In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners,” the Pentagon statement continued . “These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.”

Iranian officials also warned against U.S. counterstrikes, Tuesday night. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Irans missile attacks were “proportionate measures in self-defense” and “We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”

Iran’s Fars News Agency tweeted photos of the missiles launched towards Iraq.

Videos also appeared to show the missiles in flight.