Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!

Suspect went to McDonald’s, Walmart after Florida school shooting: Sheriff

Nikolas Cruz (Twitter)
February 15, 2018

The 19-year-old suspect in the Florida high school shooting stopped at McDonald’s and got a drink at a Subway inside a Walmart store following the mass shooting that killed 17 people, the Broward County Sheriff said Thursday.

And, according to a Sheriff’s Department report, the suspected shooter, Nikolas Cruz, confessed to the high school shooting and to having stashed extra loaded magazines in a backpack, The Associated Press reported.

Cruz is charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.

He is a former student of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, which has about 3,000 students.

Cruz legally purchased an AR-15 rifle about a year ago, and he had joined the school’s U.S. Army Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program (JROTC).

Cruz has a history of mental illness. He was being treated at a mental health clinic but then stopped treatment, and his mother passed away around Thanksgiving, leaving him orphaned.

The troubled 19-year-old had also been expelled from the high school last year.

The FBI on Thursday confirmed that it had been tipped off five months ago about a comment Cruz wrote on YouTube that said: “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.”

The FBI said it had investigated the threat, but that nothing came of it.