On Tuesday, National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster said that President Donald Trump “in no way” compromised any sources while speaking to Russian leaders in the Oval Office last week. McMaster also added that the info-sharing between Trump and Russia was “wholly appropriate,” but is not denying the Washington Post story that broke the news.
“The president in no way compromised any sources or methods in the course of this conversation,” McMaster said while briefing reporters at the White House.
According to anonymous sources who spoke with the Washington Post, President Trump allegedly leaked classified information about ISIS to the Russian ambassador and prime minister during their meeting last week. The leak reportedly jeopardized an ISIS intelligence source, the Washington Post broke late Monday.
McMaster said on Monday that Trump and the Russian foreign minister “reviewed common threats from terrorist organizations to include threats to aviation. … At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed, and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly.”
On Tuesday during the press briefing at the White House, McMaster stood by his statement.
“I stand by my statement that I made yesterday … the premise of that article is false,” he said.