Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

Suspect identified in shooting that killed guard at New Hampshire State Hospital

A shooter killed one person Friday in the lobby of the New Hampshire State Hospital in Concord, N.H., and then was fatally shot by a state trooper, officials said. (Dreamstime/TNS)
November 20, 2023

Authorities have identified the shooter who killed a 63-year-old guard at New Hampshire State Hospital in Concord on Friday as John Madore, a 33-year-old man they described as transient.

Investigators say Madore used a 9 mm pistol when he shot and killed Bradley Haas, of Franklin, New Hampshire, a state Department of Safety Security Officer working at the hospital’s front lobby entrance around 3:30 p.m. Friday.

Speaking to reporters Saturday, officials did not release the name of the state trooper who immediately responded to the scene, shooting and killing Madore, who they said most recently stayed at a hotel on the Seacoast after spending time in the Concord metro area.

“Make no mistake, if not for the heroics and sacrifice of Bradley Haas, the bravery of the New Hampshire Hospital staff, the unflinching response of New Hampshire State Police, this tragedy could have been much, much worse,” Gov. Chris Sununu said.

“New Hampshire owes a debt of gratitude to them all,” he added.

Haas had been a guard at the hospital since 2019, Attorney General John Formella said. Formella did not divulge what the role entailed but mentioned Haas was unarmed.

Madore had yet to go through a metal detector and “other obstacles” to gain access to the hospital before he started firing, Formella said. The state trooper who shot and killed the suspect contained the incident within the lobby.

“Law enforcement is always prepared to respond to an incident like this,” Formella said. “In this case, this situation was tragic, but there was an armed law enforcement officer at the scene prepared to respond immediately, and as we’ve said, that response saved a lot of lives.”

Autopsies for the shooter and victim are being conducted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, and results will be released once authorities have them, Formella said. Anyone with information about Madore or the incident is asked to call the State Police Major Crime Unit, he said.

“Beyond that, we are still gathering facts and information,” Formella said. “We will work to gather additional information about Mr. Madore, and why he did this and what led up to this tragic incident yesterday.”

State Police received a call about the shooting at 3:38 p.m., Col. Mark Hall said, adding that while CPR and other life-saving measures were performed at the scene, Haas succumbed to his injuries.

Additional state troopers, including a SWAT team, responded to sweep and secure the facility and surrounding area outside the campus, Hall said. Authorities during the sweep discovered a U-Haul rental truck running in the parking lot that appeared suspicious but did not pose a public safety threat, he said.

“However, located within the U-Haul were several items of concern, including an AR-style rifle, a tactical vest and several magazines of ammunition,” Hall said. “The investigation into the shooting including any determinations regarding the suspect’s motives remains ongoing.”

Other responders included other members of the State Police, Concord Police officers, State Complex Police officers and deputies with the Merrimack County Sheriff’s Office as well as members of the Concord Fire Department.

Haas worked as a young man as a military police officer for the U.S. Army for three years before then serving in the Franklin Police Department for 28 years, Formella said. He started as a patrol officer before rising to chief of the department, he said.

“Chief Haas was already a hero when he walked into work yesterday given his service to our country, to our state and to his community,” Formella said. “But he will now be remembered forever as a man who died protecting patients, staff and visitors at New Hampshire Hospital.”

Mental health resources are being provided to hospital staffers, and a call center has been set up for patients, families and staff at 603-271-3004, said Lori Weaver, commissioner of the state Department of Health and Human Services.

Most aspects of the hospital are running as normal, but visitation has been disrupted, Weaver said. Officials are actively working to “reestablish” the visitor entrance, she said.

“Our New Hampshire Hospital staff have not wavered for one moment,” Weaver said. “They have demonstrated courage and skill as the incident unfolded, following the protocols for an emergency of this type. They have delivered skilled and compassionate care without interruption.”


© 2023 MediaNews Group, Inc

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.