Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

9,000 soldiers haven’t received enlistment bonuses: Report

NY Army National Guard Soldiers of the 27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team during farewell at Thompson Road Armory in Syracuse, NY on July 15, 2022. (Major Avery Schneider/U.S. Army National Guard)
October 30, 2023

At least 9,000 Army National Guard soldiers have been left waiting for the bonuses promised upon their enlistment, a service component source recently disclosed.

The alarming situation underscores the challenges facing the National Guard’s administrative systems, directly impacting soldiers and their families, some of whom have been waiting for these payments for years, according to

The enlistment bonuses form a critical part of the Army National Guard’s recruitment strategy, offering up to $20,000 for part-time service and occasional deployment. The financial incentive is designed not only to attract recruits but also to ease their transition into military life.

However, the delay in disbursal has caused significant distress. “I was really relying on this money to help with moving into a new place with my wife,” one soldier, whose first half of the enlistment bonus was already a year overdue, told

Soldiers are supposed to receive the first installment of their bonus following the completion of initial service training. However, the 30-day target for the enlistment payments is not an official policy, leaving soldiers with few options when faced with delays.

Col. Danielle MacDonnell, division chief of Army National Guard G1 operations, told, “While nearly 94% of our Soldiers eligible to receive an enlistment bonus have received it, we are working very hard to reconcile the remaining 6% because we hold ourselves to higher standards and believe one overdue payment to an otherwise eligible Soldier is one too many.”

READ MORE: Air Force, Space Force raise enlistment age limit to over 40

According to, one of the key issues identified with enlistment payments is the inadequacy of the Army National Guard Incentive Management System (GIMS), which has faced significant outages, rendering it inoperable for extended periods since its introduction in 2012. The repeated system failures have forced staff to process payments manually at times, leading to backlogs and further delays.

In response to the issues, the National Guard Bureau has initiated incentive oversight teams to address state-level problems. However, full resolution is expected to take years, given the complexity and scale of the challenge. noted that the situation is further compounded by the part-time nature of most National Guard soldiers, who often lack easy access to staff for resolving bonus issues.

The current bonus delay issue is not the first time the National Guard has struggled to distribute enlistment bonuses. During the height of the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, the California National Guard faced a scandal involving the recoupment of $195 million in wrongly issued bonuses, which led to legislative interventions and eventually the development of GIMS, according to

This news article was partially created with the assistance of artificial intelligence and edited and fact-checked by a human editor.