Former President Donald Trump’s trial for the classified documents case will begin May 20, 2024, a federal judge said on Friday.
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida Judge Aileen Cannon ordered jury selection to take place on May 14 next year in Ft. Pierce, Fla., at the federal courthouse. The trial will start six days later at 9:30 a.m.
The Justice Department’s indictment against Donald Trump was unsealed in June, revealing the former president is facing 37 felony charges relating to how he handled classified documents.
The 49-page indictment states that Trump’s charges include willful retention of national defense information, conspiracy to obstruct justice, corruptly concealing documents or records, and making false statements.
The Justice Department alleges that Trump mishandled classified records “regarding defense and weapons capabilities of both the United States and foreign countries; United States nuclear programs; potential vulnerabilities of the United States and its allies to military attack; and plans for possible retaliation in response to a foreign attack” by removing them from the White House in January 2021.
While Trump hasn’t yet responded to the trial date, he previously decried the indictment on this social media platform Truth Social, writing the United States “isn’t America anymore.”
“Biden moved his Boxes all over the place, including to Chinatown and up to his lawyer’s office in Boston. Why isn’t deranged Jack Smith looking at that? Also, I supplied them openly, and without question, security tape from Mar-a-Lago. I had nothing to hide, nor do I now. Nobody said I wasn’t allowed to look at the personal records that I brought with me from the White House. There’s nothing wrong with that….” Trump wrote.
“….Biden had records for years, totally unsecured, even stolen when he was a Senator. This is crazy! Just like Jack Smith, Lisa Monaco, and the man they sent to the D.A.’s Office, Matt Colangelo. It isn’t America anymore. Under the Presidential Records Act, I’m allowed to do all this. Under the Clinton Socks Case, the decision is clear. There was no crime, except for what the DOJ and FBI have been doing against me for years,” he added.
This was a breaking news story. The details were periodically updated as more information became available.