President Joe Biden is expected to sign a new executive order on gun control Tuesday that will expand background checks, encourage safe storage and use of red flag laws, and more.
He plans to announce the order during a trip to Monterey Park, California, where he will visit with gun violence victims after the Jan. 21 dance hall shooting that killed 11, Reuters reported.
Biden’s administration said the order will bring the nation “as close to universal background checks as possible” without further support from Congress, according to Fox News.
The expected order comes after Biden signed into law the biggest gun control package in 30 years and announced 21 “executive actions to reduce gun violence” over the summer. The president also said earlier in March that he would ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines “come hell or high water,” as reported by Fox News.
The new executive order will call for measures to boost public awareness of red flag laws and safe storage laws, Fox reported.
The administration said the order will also hold the firearms industry “accountable” by gathering information about “federally licensed firearms dealers who are violating the law,” Fox reported. It will also direct Attorney General Merrick Garland to put a plan in place preventing firearms dealers with revoked or suspended licenses from continuing to do business.
The order will also urge the Federal Trade Commission to make a public report on how firearms are marketed to minors by gun manufacturers, the administration said.
A senior administration official said the executive order will not mean Biden is done pursuing gun control through Congress, Fox reported.
“The president is going to continue to fight for common sense gun safety legislation, and there are all sorts of pieces of legislation we need,” the official said. “But in the meantime, [the president] wants the federal government to be doing all we can with existing authority to reduce gun violence. And that is what this executive order does.”