At least three children were among a group of 14 people shot in a drive-by shooting in Chicago on Halloween night.
In a press conference early on Tuesday morning, Chicago Police Department Superintendent David Brown announced at least 14 people were shot on the corner of California Ave. and Polk St. on Monday night. He said and another person was struck by a vehicle at the scene.
Brown said the youngest shooting victim was three-years-old and there were additional 11-year-old and 13-year-old victims. He said the remaining victims were adults.
No deaths have been reported yet from the shooting incident. Brown said victims were in conditions ranging from critical to non-life-threatening.
Brown said investigators do have some video from the shooting incident.
“We know it’s a drive-by, we know it happened in just a few seconds,” he said. “It began and it’s over in about three seconds and the car’s pulling out after driving by and shooting randomly really into the crowd.”
Brown said there was a single suspect vehicle with at least two shooters visible in the video that investigators have reviewed.
Brown said police have not been able to identify a motive or potential suspects. He said police aren’t aware of any conflicts in that area of the city “and so we’re limited in what we can say about motive and offenders.”
Brown said the crowd of people that came under gunfire was likely present for a mix of reasons. He said some people were in the area as part of a vigil for someone who had died recently.
In addition to the three children who were shot, FOX 32 identified the other victims and their injuries as:
- A 56-year-old woman who was shot in the torso.
- A 31-year-old man who was shot in the leg.
- A female of unknown age who was shot in torso.
- A 37-year-old man who was shot in torso.
- A 51-year-old man who was shot in torso.
- A 35-year-old woman who was shot in the leg.
- A 48-year-old woman who was shot in the leg.
- A 48-year-old man who was shot in the head and was listed in critical condition at Mt. Sinai Hospital.
- A 47-year-old woman who was shot in the leg.
- A 40-year-old woman who was shot in the leg.