A Dutch soldier who was shot in Indianapolis on Saturday has died, officials said. Two other Dutch soldiers who were wounded in the shooting are recovering.
The Dutch Ministry of Defense confirmed the soldier’s death in a statement released on Monday.
“The commando, who was in critical condition in a hospital in the American city of Indianapolis, died of his injuries last night. This happened in the presence of family and colleagues,” the statement read, according to Google Translate.
In a previous statement, the ministry said the soldiers are from the Commando Corps, and that one soldier was in critical condition immediately after the shooting, whereas the other two soldiers were “conscious and approachable.”
“The shooting took place in front of the hotel where the commandos are staying. They are in the state of Indiana on exercise. The incident happened during the military’s free time,” the ministry’s statement said. “The families of the victims have been informed. Local police are investigating the cause of the shooting. No one has been arrested yet.”
The Indiana National Guard said the soldiers were training at Muscatatuck Urban Training Center, according to Fox 59.
“It is a premier training facility and used by DoD as well as other allies,” Indiana National Guard said in a statement. “The Dutch soldiers visited Indianapolis at the end of their duty day. Our thoughts and prayers are with the soldiers and families during this difficult time.”
The Indianapolis Police Department said in a press release that the shooting stemmed from a “disturbance” involving the victims and the suspects, CNN reported.
“Preliminary information suggests a disturbance occurred between the victims and the suspect(s) which resulted in the shooting. Detectives do not believe this was a random act and that there is no immediate threat to the area,” the department said in a news release.
As of Monday morning, no arrests have been made in connection with the shooting, but police believe the incident was not a “random act,” according to CNN.
Indianapolis made news earlier this year when a never-before-seen video showed that the U.S. government created a fake newscast of a nuclear bomb exploding in Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1986, as part of an exercise on what federal agencies should do in the event of a nuclear attack. That video remained secret for decades.
In the video, the anchor warns his audience to remain calm, at which point a loud explosion cuts him off mid-sentence. He then looks up and says, “Oh my God” just before the broadcast is lost.