This article was originally published by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and is reprinted with permission.
One of Iran’s biggest steel companies said on June 27 that it was forced to halt its operations until further notice after being targeted by a cyberattack.
The Khuzestan Steel Company said in a statement that experts had determined that the firm was unable to continue production “due to technical problems” following “cyberattacks.” The company’s website appeared to be out of service.
A purported hacking group called “Predatory Sparrow” claimed responsibility for the cyberattack in a message and video on social media. It said that two other state-owned steel companies — Mobarekh and Hormozgan — had been targeted in the attack, adding that all three companies were affiliated with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
“These companies continue to operate despite international sanctions against them,” the message said.
The company did not blame any specific group for the assault.
Iran has previously accused the United States and Israel for cyberattacks that have targeted and crippled the country’s infrastructure.