A woman who drove a rented SUV into Mar-a-Lago in January 2020 was determined to be temporarily insane during the incident, a judge ruled on Tuesday.
Hannah Roemhild’s not-guilty plea was accepted by Circuit Judge Scott Suskauer at a hearing on Tuesday, according to The Palm Beach Post.
Roemhild’s attorneys said she struggled with mental health issues and had failed to take her medication at the time of the incident.
“(She) is relieved that these matters have been resolved and that she can go on living a normal, productive, healthy life,” said attorney David Roth.
Court records showed that Roemhild was found not guilty of multiple counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer, fleeing police and resisting arrest. Roemhild also faces federal charges for assaulting a federal officer with a deadly weapon – the rented SUV – outside the Palm Beach mansion of former President Donald Trump.
On Jan. 31, 2020, an off-duty Florida Highway Patrol officer saw Roemhild dancing on the top of the SUV, which led to a chase that blew through two Mar-a-Lago security checkpoints.
Authorities said Roemhild was likely unaware of where she was, and the former president was not in his mansion at the time.
During the pursuit, law enforcement fired their weapons. No one was injured.
“The SUV breached both security checkpoints heading towards the main entrance,” the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s office said at the time. “Officials … discharged their firearms at the vehicle.”
The SUV fled the security checkpoints, but was pursued by helicopter and Roemhild was eventually detained by police.
This isn’t the first time Trump’s Florida home has made headlines over security concerns. Last week, Iran released an animated video depicting the assassination of Trump at his home in the Sunshine State.
The video titled “Revenge is Inevitable” opens on what is meant to be “Trump’s House” in Palm Beach, Fla. The video then shows Trump playing golf in his iconic red “Make America Great Again” baseball cap while surrounded by four other players.
The video was published on Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei’s website, which described the release as “the eve of the second anniversary of the martyrdom of General Haj Qasem Soleimani and the accompanying martyrs based on the statements of Ayatollah Khamenei about Martyr Soleimani,” The Sun reported.
In a statement posted along with the video, Khamenei is quoted as telling Soleimani’s family that “Martyr Soleimani is permanent, he is alive forever.”
“Those who martyred him – Trump and his ilk – are in the dustbin of history and will be forgotten in the dustbin of history, but he is alive forever,” the statement read. “The martyr is like this and his enemies will be lost and buried. Of course, God willing, they will be lost and buried after they pay the price for their worldliness.”