Veterans Day, once known as Armistice Day, is Nov. 11 each year and marks the anniversary of the end of World War I in 1918.
The federal legal holiday was observed on the fourth Monday in October during the mid-1970s but reverted to Nov. 11 in 1978. This year it falls on a Thursday.
According to a 2020 report front the U.S. Census Bureau:
- The number of veterans in the United States declined by a third, from 26.4 million to 18.0 million between 2000 and 2018.
- There are fewer than 500,000 World War II veterans alive today, down from 5.7 million in 2000.
- The largest group of veterans alive today served during the Vietnam Era (6.4 million), which lasted from 1964 to 1975. The second largest cohort of veterans served during peacetime only (4 million).
- The median age of veterans today is 65 years. By service period, Post-9/11 veterans are the youngest with a median age of about 37, Vietnam Era veterans have a median age of about 71, and World War II veterans are the oldest with a median age of about 93.
- Post-9/11 veterans had a 43% chance of having a service-connected disability, after accounting for differences in demographic and social characteristics among veterans—significantly higher than veterans from other periods.
Here is a list of things that are open or closed on Veterans Day 2021:
- Federal offices: Closed
- U.S. District Courts: Closed
- Post office: Closed
- State offices: Closed
- State parks: Open
- City and town offices: Closed
- Schools: Closed
- Registry of Motor Vehicles: Closed
- Banks: Most banks will be closed Thursday, but customers should check with their bank.
- Walmart: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Target: Opens 8 a.m.; closing times vary
- Kohl’s: Opens 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- CVS: Stores are open regular hours, but those hours vary by location
- Walgreens: Stores are open regular hours, but those hours vary by location
- Rite-Aid: Stores are open regular hours, but those hours vary by location
- Liquor stores: Open
Supermarkets, grocery stores
- Big Y: Stores open at 7 a.m.9 p.m.
- Aldi: Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Price-Rite: Open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Stop & Shop: Opens at 6 a.m., closing times vary by location
- Trader Joe’s: Open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wegmans: Open 6 a.m. to midnight
- Whole Foods: Open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
©2021 Advance Local Media LLC.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.