Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

Marine vet stabbed in the eye while defending woman from attackers

Police car lights. (Alexandru Cuznetov/Dreamstime/TNS)
September 16, 2021

A recently retired U.S. Marine was hospitalized on Sunday after being stabbed in the eye while defending a woman from a group of attackers.

Tyler Ferrara, 26, came to the defense of a woman who was being assaulted outside a bar near Winter Street in Worcester, Mass., his brother Matt Ferrara told WCVB-5.

According to a GoFundMe page set up on his behalf, a group of males was assaulting a woman when Ferrara intervened. One of the males threw a punch at Ferrara before he punched back. It was then that two additional males jumped in and Ferrara found himself in a three-on-one fight. During the fight, one of the male attackers pulled out a knife and stabbed Ferrara.

“They were in a scuffle, an altercation, and he tried to break it up,” Matt Ferrara said. “Anybody with a heart would step in and that’s him. He’s always been like that since Day 1, since he was a little kid.”

The man with the knife reportedly stabbed at Ferrara, slicing his retina.

“He sliced his eye right in half. Tyler went to UMass Memorial and then Mass Eye and Ear. He has severe eye trauma,” Ferrara’s mother Tammy said. “He cannot see out of that eye right now. His life is altered. Can’t go to school, can’t go to work, can’t drive, can’t pick up his 2-year-old son.”

Police told CBS 4, Worcester man Jason Rennie now faces multiple charges including armed assault to murder.

Rennie, 33, was arraigned Monday in Worcester District Court. He is being held without bail and has another hearing on Thursday, to determine whether he will be held without bail.

“Hopefully this man will stay in jail and my son will get his vision back. We have a long road ahead of us,” Tammy said.

According to the GoFundMe page, Ferrara had recently retired from the Marine Corps after five years of service and multiple deployments. He had returned from service about a month ago and was just beginning to pursue a master’s degree.

“All this stuff happens on Saturday night and his life is changed now,” Tammy said.

The Marine’s mother said, despite his injuries, her son wouldn’t have done anything differently.

“Would he do it again? Yes he would,” Tammy said. “Yes he would. Absolutely.”

Ferrara’s brother said he’s seen an outpouring of support since the attack. “Military buddies, everyone is behind him 110 percent and just having faith that he’s going to pull through.”