As developed nations have worked toward securing their defense with expanded military and weaponry, Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBM) were added to their arsenals. Now the United States, Russia, China, and North Korea boast long-range ICBMs in their defense toolkit.
Here are the top 10 long-range ICBMs that exist today. Watch in the video below:
1. R-36M (SS-18 Satan). This Russian-built ICBM was first launched in 1975. It is the world’s longest-range ICBM with a 16,000 km range, and it is also the heaviest ICBM in the world.
2. Dongfeng-41 ICBM. The ICBM is built by China and is China’s longest-range ICBM capable of traveling 12,000-15,000 km This deadly rocket has 10 multiple independent reentry vehicles (MIRVS). An erector launcher tracker vehicle launches the rocket, making it possible to launch from remote locations.
3. DongFeng 5A ICBM. The ICBM is built by China and can strike targets in the range of 13,000 km, which is far enough to reach the United States. A launchpad or land-based silo fires the DongFeng missile.
4. Hwasong-15 ICBM. The ICBM is built by North Korea and can reach 13,000 km. A nuclear warhead may be attached to the missile, and while that would reduce the missile’s range, it can be launched from an erector launcher tracker vehicle. The missile is a new ICBM built by North Korea.
5. R-29RMU Sineva ICBM. The ICBM is built by Russia and demonstrated a range of 11,547 km during tests. This rocket is a submarine-launched ICBM, launching on a delta class 4 submarine. The ICBM carries four warheads or ten 100KT warheads.
6. UGM-133 Trident II ICBM. The ICBM is built by the United States and has a range of 7,000 miles (11,300 km). The missile can travel at more than 13,000 mph and can carry up to eight multiple W88 warheads or W76 nuclear warheads. Ohio and British Vanguard class submarines deploy the rocket.
7. DongFeng 31 ICBM. The ICBM is built by China and has a range of 11,200 km. The ICBM carries a single nuclear warhead of 1,000 KT. China introduced 10 of these missiles into service in 2006. They launch the missile from a silo or erector truck. Solid-propellant rocket motors propel the three-stage rocket.
8. RT-2UTTKh Topol-M ICBM. The ICBM is built by Russia and has a range of about 11,000 km. They launched the ICBM from silos or mobile launchers. The ICBM can carry a single 550 KT warhead. They designed the missile to withstand radiation, electromagnetic pulse, and nuclear explosions at 500 meters. The ICBM can carry four to six MERV warheads along with decoys. This was the first ICBM developed after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
9. Minuteman-III (LGM-30G) ICBM. The ICBM is built by the United States and has a range of about 6,000 miles with a speed of 15,000 mph. This is the only land-based ICBM in the U.S. arsenal.
10. M51 ICBM. The ICBM is built by France and has a range of 8,000 to 10,000 km. It is launched from the Triumphant class submarine.
Countries are continuing to build weapons for defensive purposes, except for the U.S. and Russia, who are bound by treaty to limit nuclear weapons until 2026.