The Indian Army is now monitoring activities by the Chinese military, including a drill it is conducting in its training areas near the Ladakh region, just months after de-escalating a military standoff and normalizing talks between the two nations.
According to Press Trust of India, there were “no ‘violations’ by either side since the implementation of the disengagement in Pangong lake areas,” Chief of Army Staff Gen. M M Naravane said Wednesday.
During a briefing of the situation, Naravane said there were no “transgressions and violations” since the disengagement process took place in February, and both sides are observing it in letter and spirit.
“What is important is that we are talking. And what is important to know is that between two phases, there are periods where the trust has to be built up. I think the trust has (been) built..because of that trust, maybe we will be able to make forward movement in other areas where issues are still to be resolved,” he told Indian news media.
It is almost one year since a clash between both sides triggered a long stand-off. Recalling past Chinese aggression, the Army Chief said India will maintain its enhanced presence on the northern front until de-escalation is achieved.
India and China were locked in a military standoff at multiple friction points in eastern Ladakh since early May last year, but they completed the withdrawal of troops and weapons from the North and South banks of Pangong Lake in February following a series of military and diplomatic talks between leaders and commanders on both sides.