Over 500 people who took part in the storming of the U.S. Capitol on January 6 are expected to be charged by the Justice Department, according to documents filed by federal prosecutors late Tuesday, NBC News reported.
“Over 400 individuals have been charged in connection with the Capitol attack,” the documents stated. “The investigation continues and the government expects that at least one hundred additional individuals will charged.”
One law enforcement official said Friday that the number of people currently charged is 440.
Court documents revealed that individuals have been charged from almost every state, with Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas making the most appearances. Almost 90 percent of those charged were men and their average age is 40.
The investigation is one of the largest in American history in terms of number of charges, Justice Department lawyers said, and includes over 15,000 hours of surveillance footage and police body camera video.
Most of the charges are low-level offenses, like entering federal property without permission and attempting to interrupt the official Electoral College presidential vote count. Several charges are more serious, including assaulting police officers and damaging government property.
The Proud Boys and Oath Keepers have also been targeted by federal prosecutors who charged the groups with conspiracy, alleging they played a key role in planning and leading the Capitol demonstration.
Last week, a self-described “lifetime member” of the Oath Keepers who took part in the violent protest became the first to plead guilty to charges related to the incident, while also agreeing to cooperate with the government.
Jon Schaffer was caught on camera spraying a chemical substance at law enforcement and was subsequently charged with obstructing Congress’ move to certify the 2020 presidential election, as well as illegally entering a restricted building.
Politico reported that Schaffer had engaged in lengthy plea discussions with U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta and ultimately agreed to a deal that compels him to “cooperate fully with the United States,” including interviews and providing evidence of known crimes.
The Justice Department also offered to include Schaffer in its witness protection program as part of the deal.
Earlier this month, it was also determined that the U.S. Capitol Police officer who killed demonstrator Ashli Babbitt at the Capitol on January 6 will not face any charges after President Joe Biden’s DOJ closed the investigation into the fatal shooting.
According to a press release from the department, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice “will not pursue criminal charges” against the officer responsible for the fatal shooting of 35-year-old Babbitt.