President Donald Trump’s campaign website was briefly hacked and defaced Tuesday evening.
On the upcoming events page of donaldjtrump.com, the hackers posted a message in broken English that said the world has “had enough” of the “fake news” spread by the commander-in-chief, CNN reported.
The entire Trump 2020 website appeared to go offline for a several minutes before being restored, according to the news outlet.
“Earlier this evening, the Trump campaign website was defaced and we are working with law enforcement authorities to investigate the source of the attack,” Tim Murtaugh, Trump 2020 communications director, said in a statement. “The website has been restored.”
The hackers who created the altered page also claimed, without evidence, to have “strictly classified” and incriminating information about the Republican incumbent president based on multiple devices they alleged to have compromised, the news outlet reported.
However, Murtaugh noted, there was no exposure to sensitive data, as “none of it is actually stored on the site.”
On top of the hackers’ message were the seals of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Department of Justice, which appeared to parody the messages the FBI posts on websites it takes over for investigations, according to CNN.
The site was functioning normally as of Wednesday morning.
(c) 2020 MassLive.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.