Bastrop’s annual Red White and Blue Banquet has been canceled due to COVID-19 concerns after a decision from the banquet’s committee, according to an announcement.
“This decision was not an easy one for the committee, but we had to take into consideration the age and health of our veteran population, especially our World War II and Korean War veterans during the COVID-19 pandemic,” the committee wrote in a Tuesday press release.
The banquet was scheduled for Nov. 9 at the Bastrop Exhibit & Convention Center and would have featured speaker Charles Edwards Jr., a retired brigadier general in the U.S. Army.
Last year the banquet drew over 500 attendees and raised $7,000 for veteran service organizations.
The committee says it hopes people will continue to donate to the organization through its website, rwbveterans.com. The money collected through the committee is distributed to organizations across the nation, like the Marine Corp League, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
“These organizations then distribute the money to veterans in need through helping them with rent, groceries or a large unexpected bill. In addition, some of these organizations offer faith-based programs for those veterans in spiritual need,” the press release said.
© 2020 Austin American-Statesman
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.