Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  

Man who once attacked police with sword outside Buckingham Palace sentenced to 25 years in jail

A gavel cracks down. (Airman 1st Class Aspen Reid/U.S. Air Force)

A man who attacked cops with a samurai sword outside Buckingham Palace in 2017 was sentenced to at least 25 years in jail on Thursday after an investigation found he was planning a terror attack, British cops said.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, 29, was recorded telling his sister he was “doing another attack” and told officers he was considering target bustling central London locations, the U.K. Counter Terrorism Policing Network said in a statement.

Chowdhury, of the London suburb of Luton, was found guilty of preparation of acts of terrorism.

“Mohiussunnath Chowdhury posed a very real threat to the lives of innocent people,” Commander Richard Smith, head of Scotland Yard’s counter terrorism command, said in statement.

Chowdhury struck at Buckingham Palace three summers ago. In 2018, he was acquitted after he told a jury he was trying to get himself killed — and not trying to hurt anyone else — when he menaced the police with a 42-inch blade and yelled “Allahu Akbar” at the royal residence, the BBC reported at the time.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

But he was arrested last year along with his 25-year-old sister, Sneha Chowdhury, before a pride event in London that he was considering targeting, according to authorities.

Officers went undercover and befriended Mohiussunnath Chowdhury to unravel his plans, the police said.

He and his sister were convicted in February, but she hasn’t yet been sentenced in connection with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity, cops said.

___

© 2020 New York Daily News