Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  

Search for missing Fort Bragg soldier suspended

A sign at one of the entrances to Fort Bragg. (Fish Cop./WikiCommons)

The search for a Fort Bragg soldier who was reported missing Memorial Day weekend was suspended last week, officials said.

Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez, 21, was reported missing by friends May 23 near Cape Lookout National Seashore after he did not return to his camp, officials with the National Park Service said.

His phone and wallet were found at the campsite, and he was last seen wearing blue shorts and no T-shirt, officials said.

The search for Roman-Martinez was suspended after 10 days that included searching South Core Banks, Shackleford Banks and the area surrounding Roman-Martinez’s camp.

About a week after the search, park rangers found human remains that washed up on Shackelford Banks, park officials said in a news release.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

“The remains were turned over to the medical examiner’s office and are awaiting their determination and identification,” officials said.

Officials said Roman-Martinez is still considered a missing person, and the investigation of his disappearance is ongoing.

“In the absence of additional clues, active search operations have been suspended,” officials said. “Limited search activities may occur as new information or evidence presents itself.”

Those who have assisted Cape Lookout National Seashore rangers with the investigation include the Army Criminal Investigation Command, U.S. Coast Guard, North Carolina Marine Patrol, Wayne County Sheriff’s Office canine team and Carteret County Sheriff’s Office.

Anyone who had contact with Roman-Martinez should call the Carteret County dispatch office at 252-726-1911, Army Criminal Investigation Division at 910-396-8777 or the military police desk at 910-396-1179.

___

© 2020 The Fayetteville Observer