Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

Navy service member shoots, kills knife-wielding suspect attempting to enter Alaska Navy SEAL facility

Navy Master Chief Matthew Novello with the Naval Special Warfare Cold Weather Detachment Kodiak explains some of the workout routines that Navy SEALS perform while training on Kodiak Island to Maj. Gen. Curtis Williams, Mobilization Assistant to the Air Force Reserve Commander during a tour of the facility in Kodiak, Alaska on April 4, 2017. (U.S. Air Force Photo by Master Sgt. Luke Johnson)
June 17, 2020

An armed 30-year-old civilian was shot and killed by a duty officer while attempting to enter a Naval building in Kodiak, Alaska on Saturday night.

Jayson Vinberg of Kodiak died after being shot by a Naval Special Warfare service member, the Associated Press reported. He brandished a knife at the service member as he attempted to enter the building, which is used by Navy SEALs for cold-weather training, officials said on Monday.

Navy Criminal Investigative Service spokesman Jeff Houston said Vinberg entered the compound around 10:21 p.m. and attempted to get inside a building.

“A Naval Special Warfare service member confronted the intruder, and events led to the service member using deadly force,” Houston added.

A duty officer on guard saw a man trespassing at the installation and tapping on the windows of the watch building with a knife, Alaska State Troopers said.

After failing to obey the duty officer’s command to leave, Vinberg walked toward the guard with the knife and did not comply with follow-up commands to stop.

The guard then shot the man. He was declared dead by responding medics, troopers said.

Although it is not known if the service member was injured or hospitalized, he is reportedly in good condition and receiving support from his command leadership, said Houston and Lt. Matthew Stroup, a Naval Special Warfare Command spokesman.

“There is no known threat to the community at this time,” Houston said.

“This investigation is being conducted as a joint investigation between ABI and Naval Criminal Investigative Service,” the Alaska State Troopers wrote in a dispatch on Sunday. “The duty officer’s name won’t be released until after consultation with the Alaska US Attorney’s Office and Naval Criminal Investigative Unit is complete.”

The Alaska State Troopers dispatch added that the name of the service member would not be released until after the investigation is complete and after consultation with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Anchorage.