Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

Remaining 2 suspects arrested in shooting death of mother, Navy veteran

Atlanta Police (dave conner/WikiCommons)

Police have arrested the remaining two suspects in the death of a veteran shot during a carjacking in southwest Atlanta.

Reginald Bryant, 21, and Javonne Spencer, 19, were the last of four suspects investigators have connected to the Nov. 3 death of Renae Alexander. The 45-year-old mother of three was described by her sons as a Navy vet.

Bryant and Spencer are each facing a murder charge in her death, Atlanta police said Friday. Shakiyah Jones, 19, and Jacquez Barnes, 20, were previously arrested on the same charges.

Homicide detectives determined soon after the November shooting that four people were involved, police spokesman Sgt. John Chafee said. They identified the first two suspects, Jones and Barnes, within the first four days of the investigation.

Bryant and Spencer were identified last week, Chafee said. Bryant was already sitting in the Fulton County Jail on unrelated charges, and Spencer surrendered Thursday at police headquarters.

Alexander died at Grady Memorial Hospital the day after she was shot outside an apartment complex on Fulton Street. A gunman was aiming at another woman who was trying to escape a carjacking, and Alexander got caught in the line of fire, according to a police report.

The carjacking victim told investigators the man approached her Chevrolet Camaro with a long handgun and told her to “get out.” She immediately reversed her vehicle, backing into Alexander’s Chevrolet Malibu, police said in the report.

Alexander was shot in the side and leg. Hearing the shots, several bystanders attempted to come to her aid, according to police. One man was shot in the leg when he rushed out of the apartment complex breezeway. He survived.

All four suspects are being held in the Fulton County Jail. Bond was denied for Jones, Barnes and Bryant. Spencer is scheduled for a bond hearing Friday.

It is likely all four will next appear in court together for a preliminary hearing March 6, according to the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office.


© 2020 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution