Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  

Prince Charles, 71, has coronavirus, officials confirm

Prince Charles, 71, is showing mild symptoms of COVID-19 and is self-isolating at a royal estate in Scotland, his office said. (TNS)
March 25, 2020

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Prince Charles, the son of Queen Elizabeth II and heir to the British throne has tested positive for coronavirus.

Charles, 71, is self-isolating, according to a statement from his official residence at Clarence House, reported by BBC. The statement said Charles, the Prince of Wales, has mild symptoms, “but otherwise remains in good health.”

“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing,” the statement detailed. “It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”

Camilla, 72, Charles’ wife and the Duchess of Cornwall, has also been tested for coronavirus though her test results came back negative. They are being isolated in separate parts of their Balmoral estate in Scotland.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Queen Elizabeth II reportedly last saw Prince Charles on March 12, though she was “in good health.” The queen has been in Windsor over the last week along with her Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

The news of Charles’ sickness comes amid the UK’s three week nationwide coronavirus lockdown, which began at midnight on Tuesday.

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK has passed 8,100, with 423 fatalities, according to Johns Hopkins University’s coronavirus tracking map, Wednesday morning.