Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  
A1F

Here are Trump’s newest tweets after ordering airstrike that killed top Iranian general

US President Donald Trump and Iranian General Qasem Soleimani (Sayyed Shahab-o-din Vajedi / Released)
January 03, 2020

President Trump released his first statement Friday morning after ordering the late Thursday night airstrike that killed a top Iranian general.

“General Qassem Soleimani has killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans over an extended period of time, and was plotting to kill many more…but got caught! He was directly and indirectly responsible for the death of millions of people, including the recent large number of PROTESTERS killed in Iran itself,” Trump said.

“While Iran will never be able to properly admit it, Soleimani was both hated and feared within the country. They are not nearly as saddened as the leaders will let the outside world believe. He should have been taken out many years ago!” he added.

Gen. Qassim Soleimani was commander of The Quds Force, an elite unit in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Earlier on Friday, Trump tweeted, “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation!”

The Friday morning remarks were the first words he spoke after the strike. Shortly after the Pentagon confirmed late Thursday that the U.S. had carried out the strike, Trump tweeted only a graphic of an American flag.

Trump had tweeted a warning to Iran on Tuesday, saying, “Iran will be held fully responsible for lives lost, or damage incurred, at any of our facilities. They will pay a very BIG PRICE! This is not a Warning, it is a Threat. Happy New Year!”

“General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region,” the Pentagon said in a statement late Thursday. “General Soleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more.”

“This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans,” the statement added. “The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.”