Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

Former Fort Bragg soldier accused of stealing $2M worth of military goggles, equipment

U.S. Army Sgt. Ryan McMurray, assigned to the 752nd Ordnance Company, adjusts night vision goggles as he prepares to work in a low-light situation during Raven’s Challenge 2017 at Camp Shelby, Miss., June 28, 2017. Raven’s Challenge is an annual training event that provides Explosive Ordnance Disposal personnel and Public Safety Bomb Squads of both military and government agencies interoperability in a realistic domestic tactical environment. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ashley Marble, 55th Signal Company)

A Special Forces soldier who managed military inventory at Fort Bragg has been accused of stealing more than $2 million worth of night-vision goggles and other equipment, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Thursday.

Bryan Craig Allen, 34, was indicted Aug. 6, on charges of theft of military property, conspiracy to steal military property and aggravated identity theft, according to a news release.

He worked as property book officer for the 4th Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg and is accused of using his position to “decrease the number of items shown in possession of specific companies,” which meant that the expected inventory of equipment also was reduced.

Allen is accused of stealing the equipment, including 43 enhanced night-vision goggles over two and a half years. The goggles must now be disposed of or destroyed, based on U.S. Department of Defense policy, according to the release.

The Associated Press cites court documents that suggest he sold the goggles to a Fayetteville military surplus store.

The AP said Allen is a chief warrant officer who now lives in Anacoco, Louisiana.

The documents also said three other men have been charged since 2013 and there will be more charges, according to The AP.

Allen could face up to 19 years in prison if convicted, with up to three years of supervised release, as well as a fine of up to $1 million, according to the news release.

The Defense Criminal Investigative Service, FBI, U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division and the Department of Homeland Security are investigating the incident.


© 2019 The News & Observer