Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  

6 Houthi missiles and a drone intercepted targeting Saudi Arabia

A medium-range ballistic missile target is launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility in Kauai, Hawaii, during Flight Test Standard Missile-27, Event 2. The target was successfully intercepted by SM-6 missiles fired from the guided-missile destroyer USS John Paul Jones (DDG 53); 2017. (U.S. Navy photo by Latonja Martin/Released)

Six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were intercepted on Sunday evening by the Arab coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

The missiles were launched by the “Houthi terrorist militia from Saada province in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city,” coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said.

He accused the Houthis of carrying out “terrorist war crimes that violate international humanitarian law.”

Earlier on Sunday, the Arab coalition intercepted a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

Col. Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

. ADVERTISEMENT .

Saada is Yemen’s northern mountainous province that borders Saudi Arabia and is the Houthis main stronghold.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second to on the city in recent days. The coalition said it was launched from the former Yemeni capital Sanaa, which the Houthis seized in 2014, to spark the conflict.

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

___

© 2019 the Arab News 

ADVERTISEMENT