Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  

North Korea rejects food aid over South Korea-US military drills

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un before a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump on the south side of the Military Demarcation Line that divides North and South Korea, in the Joint Security Area (JSA) of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) on June 30, 2019. State media said Kim inspected a new submarine that would soon be deployed. (Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)
July 25, 2019

The Unification Ministry said Wednesday that North Korea’s working-level officials have expressed “a negative view” on South Korea’s assistance of 50,000 tons of rice, citing the joint military drills scheduled for next month.

The World Food Program’s office in Pyongyang, which is in charge of overseeing the food donation, informed Seoul last weekend about the refusal following meetings with officials of North Korea’s Foreign Ministry.

In June, the government announced its aid plan to offer rice via the UN agency to help the North which is suffering from a severe food security crisis due to floods and heat waves.

According to the Commodity Intelligence Report issued by US Department of Agriculture Monday, North Korea is estimated to produce 1.36 million tons of rice this year, the lowest level in 10 years.

“The WFP was informed of the North’s stance during working-level talks,” the Ministry of Unification deputy spokesperson Kim Eun-han said during a regular briefing.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Kim said the government is trying to confirm the North’s official position through the WFP.

If North Korea issues an official notification or credible remarks by senior officials, that would be regarded as the regime’s formal decline of Seoul’s humanitarian assistance.

“The government hopes that the shipment of 50,000 tons of rice will be completed by September as originally planned,” Kim said.

In recent weeks, North Korea has been expressing its displeasure with the 19-2 Dong Maeng military drills.

On July 16, a spokesman for North Korea’s Foreign Ministry told state media that Trump reaffirmed halting military exercises during his meeting with Kim last month, and the US decision to forge ahead with them was “clearly a breach” of their agreement at a summit in Singapore last year.

Seoul’s Defense Ministry said Monday the name and timing of the latest military exercise would be confirmed after consulting the US.

———

© 2019 the Asia News Network (Hamburg, Germany)

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.