Join our brand new verified AMN Telegram channel and get important news uncensored!

LA County sheriff’s deputy who was shot in the head in random attack has died

A procession for Sheriff's Deputy Joseph Gilbert Solano makes its way along Marengo Street from Los Angeles County USC Medical Center to the Coroner's Office on Wednesday, June 12, 2019, in Los Angeles. (Kent Nishimura/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Surrounded by family and fellow law enforcement officers, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Joseph Solano lay motionless inside the hospital where he once stood guard over prisoners needing medical care.

The 50-year-old had been in grave condition since Monday night, when investigators say a Utah man shot him in the head for no apparent reason.

The brutal and seemingly random attack left Solano on life support, unable to breathe on his own.

Although the family had hoped for a miracle, Solano succumbed to his injuries, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva announced Wednesday night.

“He confronted a threat not knowing what it was, and in a split second, he lost his life, and that’s what it is in law enforcement,” Villanueva said during a news conference. “On a good day, we can do heroic things, and save lives, and avoid death. And other times something as innocent as going to a fast-food restaurant can be end of the watch for our hero, Deputy Solano.”

News of Solano’s death came as a troubling portrait emerged of the man accused of killing him. Weeks before he allegedly opened fire on Solano, 30-year-old Rhett McKenzie Nelson drove away from his family’s home in southern Utah with a firearm and a grim-sounding mission statement.

“He had somehow communicated to them the message that he wanted to make it on his own or die,” Capt. Mike Giles of the St. George Police Department in Utah said Wednesday.

Nelson may have been struggling with addiction and mental health issues, and police are investigating whether he is responsible for a fatal shooting in downtown Los Angeles and a series of armed robberies in San Diego since he arrived in Southern California in early June.

Neither police nor Nelson’s family believed he was a danger to himself or others when he was reported missing on May 28, Giles said.

But two weeks later, police say, Nelson opened fire on a downtown Los Angeles street and again inside an Alhambra fast-food restaurant in the span of one hour, leaving one man dead and an off-duty sheriff’s deputy gravely injured in a pair of shootings.

Nelson was arrested Tuesday in Long Beach after investigators said he called his father and admitted to “committing murder in Southern California.”

Nelson drove off from his family’s home in St. George on May 25, according to a statement from his father. He traveled in a 2012 Kia Sorrento — the same type of vehicle he was arrested in on Tuesday — and carried a firearm, Giles said.

Giles did not know what kind of gun Nelson had or whether he legally owned it. Police said they recovered a revolver from Nelson’s vehicle when they arrested him.

Residents of Utah are not required to obtain a permit to own a firearm, according to Giles, who did not comment on whether Nelson’s previous arrests for drug offenses would have barred him from owning a gun under state law.

Giles said Nelson’s loved ones did not interpret his remarks as ominous.

“The family indicated to officers that they did not believe he was a danger to himself or others,” Giles said. “They did not believe that statement was a suicidal comment, more a comment he wanted to make it on his own.”

Giles said Nelson’s family told police he had previously suffered with substance abuse issues, and they were worried he “may have relapsed recently.”

Court records show Nelson was arrested twice on suspicion of drug offenses and driving while intoxicated in Salt Lake City in 2014. Giles said St. George police had arrested Nelson on suspicion of minor drug charges in either 2011 or 2012.

But there was no inkling Nelson might hurt someone, Giles said. His family “indicated he’d never been violent” and believed he was only carrying a firearm “for protection,” according to Giles.

Nelson called home again on June 4, according to Giles. He was staying in Rancho Santa Margarita in Orange County. Investigators said Tuesday that Nelson had traveled to Southern California in the first week of June.

A person close to the family, who asked not to be identified, said Nelson grew up in California and moved with his family to Utah about 14 years ago. Public records indicate his family once lived in Orange County.

Nelson’s relatives discussed their concerns about his mental health with police after the June 4 phone call, though they said he had not been previously diagnosed with a mental illness, according to Giles.

In two separate Facebook accounts — which were visible until they were blocked from public view late Wednesday morning — Nelson seemed obsessed with conspiracy theories. He shared anti-vaccine content and promoted the idea that so-called directed-energy weapons had been used to spark wildfires in California. He also posted at least two videos with instructions about modifying firearms to become fully automatic.

Giles said investigators and Nelson’s relatives discussed law enforcement intervention under Utah’s civil commitment law, but at that point he was far outside their jurisdiction.

With no evidence that Nelson posed a threat to himself or others, St. George police closed their missing persons investigation on June 5, Giles said.

Five days later, in downtown Los Angeles, Nelson allegedly had a “brief exchange” with a 30-year-old man that ended in gunfire, according to LAPD Chief Michel Moore. The man, who was not identified, died at the scene of at least one gunshot wound.

At 5:45 p.m. the same day, police say Nelson walked into a Jack in the Box restaurant in Alhambra and shot Solano, the sheriff’s deputy, in the head.

Police are also investigating whether Nelson was involved in five armed robberies in the San Diego area from June 7 through June 9. In each case, the suspect displayed a handgun to a convenience store clerk at night. The gunman made off with an undisclosed amount of cash in four of the incidents, according to the San Diego Police Department.

Nelson has yet to be criminally charged and is being held without bail at the Twin Towers Correctional facility in downtown Los Angeles, records show.

Police have not offered a motive in either shooting. Solano was not robbed and he was not wearing anything that would signify he was a law enforcement officer at the time of the attack.

In a statement Tuesday night, Bradley Nelson, the suspect’s father, expressed the family’s anguish over the turn of events.

“My wife Jean and I, along with our family, are saddened beyond words to hear of the shooting of Los Angeles Sheriff’s Deputy Joseph Solano, and to learn that our son Rhett is being held in connection with this horrifying and senseless attack,” the statement read.

Dinnell La Barbara, Solano’s cousin, said the deputy was a loving man who provided for his sister and mother, who was also being treated in a hospital.

“He would have stood in for anybody. If anyone was in trouble he would have sacrificed his life,” she said. “He wasn’t afraid. He was the type to intervene. He was a true ‘guy,’ one of the really good ones.”


© 2019 Los Angeles Times

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.