U.S.-backed forces have captured several ISIS terrorists responsible for a January attack in Syria that killed four Americans and 10 others.
As many as five ISIS members behind the attack were captured, a defense official told CNN in a Tuesday report.
“A group of suspects believed to be involved in January 16 Manbij bombing that killed several U.S. and SDF servicemen were captured following technical surveillance by our forces. The outcome of the ongoing investigation will be shared at a later time,” Mustafa Bali, spokesman for the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Fighters (SDF), tweeted Tuesday morning.
A group of suspects believed to be involved in January 16 Manbij bombing that killed several US and SDF servicemen were captured following technical surveillance by our forces. The outcome of the ongoing investigation will be shared at a later time.
— Mustafa Bali (@mustefabali) March 19, 2019
An anonymous official told Reuters that “initial detentions” of ISIS fighters were made last month, though a number was not provided.
“Those initial detentions have provided some leads and opportunities that we are continuing to exploit,” the official said. “The investigation is ongoing as are efforts to bring all of those terrorists responsible to justice.”
The attack took place in mid-January, and killed four Americans in addition to 10 others. It took place in northern Syria in the city of Manbij. An ISIS member detonated an explosive vest near a market in the city.
The slain Americans included Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Jonathan Farmer, Navy Chief Cryptologic Technician Shannon Kent, Scott Wirtz from the Defense Intelligence Agency, and Ghadir Taher, a defense contractor, according to Fox News.
Three other U.S. service members were left with injuries. The 10 other casualties included eight civilians and two SDF fighters.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack soon after.
Before the attack, only two U.S. service members had been killed in Syria since the antiterrorism campaign began in 2014.