A Green Beret’s wife has spoken out after her husband was charged with the murder of a Taliban bomb maker.
On Sunday, Julie Golsteyn appeared on Fox & Friends in defense of her husband, Maj. Matt Golsteyn, who was charged with premeditated murder on Friday for the admitted killing of a Taliban bomb maker in 2010 who had killed two members from Golsteyn’s unit.
Watch the interview below:
“He was lucky enough to survive war and has come home to be ripped apart by his own government and the Army leadership,” she said. “It is extremely disappointing and absolutely reprehensible what they have done to him.”
She called the premeditated murder charge “almost laughable if it wasn’t so serious and disgusting.”
“I know my husband, I know his heart and I know his character,” Julie Golsteyn said during the interview. “And to think that he killed someone in cold blood … is absolutely… I don’t even have a word for it. It is just so disgusting.”
Matt Golsteyn first admitted to CIA agents during a job interview in 2010 that he’d killed the bomb maker. He said he believed he was obeying the rules of engagement for killing the militant due to the bomb components surrounding the man that made him an “armed combatant.”
Additionally, he said he knew ahead of time that the militant was responsible for two other U.S. service members’ deaths and making bombs, proving to be “a demonstrated threat to my guys,” Golsteyn had told investigators.
After a subsequent investigation, he was cleared of wrongdoing in 2015 when the Army determined there was insufficient evidence to charge him, and subsequently closed the investigation.
NEW TONIGHT: Former Special Forces soldier Matt Golsteyn, once lauded as one of the Battle of Marjah’s great war heroes, faces a new murder charge. He was notified by the Army today.
The case stems from things he said in a 2011 CIA job interview.https://t.co/giKUc8YEjV
— Dan Lamothe (@DanLamothe) December 13, 2018
The case remained closed until October 2016 when Golsteyn sat for an interview with Fox News’ Brett Baer and admitted that he killed the bomb maker, after identifying the bomb maker as the militant responsible for the prior crimes.
“It is an inevitable outcome that people who are cooperating with the coalition forces, when identified, will suffer some terrible torture or be killed,” Golsteyn told Baer at the time.
Late Sunday, President Donald Trump vowed to review Matt Golsteyn’s case.
“At the request of many, I will be reviewing the case of a “U.S. Military hero,” Major Matt Golsteyn, who is charged with murder,” he tweeted.
At the request of many, I will be reviewing the case of a “U.S. Military hero,” Major Matt Golsteyn, who is charged with murder. He could face the death penalty from our own government after he admitted to killing a Terrorist bomb maker while overseas. @PeteHegseth @FoxNews
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 16, 2018
Last month before the charges were announced, Golsteyn issued a statement through his attorney, Phil Stackhouse, which said:
“The investigation into my actions began over seven years ago when the Army saw I intended to resign for an opportunity to work for a government agency. After four years of investigation, it resulted in the Army seeking to administratively separate me. For over two years now the decision to separate me or retire me has been pending in Washington, D.C. During those years, the Army allowed me to move on, begin a new career, and start a new family. If it’s true they now want to prosecute me for allegations that have already been resolved — this vindictive abuse of power must know no limit. My hope is that Army leadership will stop this vindictive plan and effect the retirement that is pending.”