Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!

‘Explosive package’ intercepted in DC; not targeting White House Secret Service says

A United States Secret Service agent stands guard between the upgraded security fence and metal barricade (foreground) that block off the north lawn of the White House from tourists on Pennsylvania Avenue NW on December 13, 2015. (Matt Popovich/Flickr)
October 24, 2018
13K Shares

The Secret Service has clarified that reports of a suspicious and potentially explosive package sent to the White House are incorrect. Currently, they’re investigating one package addressed to former President Obama in Washington, D.C., and another package addressed to former First Lady Hillary Clinton in Chappaqua, N.Y.

“CLARIFICATION: At this time the Secret Service has intercepted TWO suspicious packages – one in NY and one in D.C. Reports of a third intercepted package addressed to the WH are incorrect,” the Secret Service tweeted.

A law enforcement official originally told CNN that the package was discovered at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling in Washington, D.C., and was found to contain a pipe bomb inside. The bomb was reported as a “functional” device containing “projectiles.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Three suspicious packages have been intercepted Wednesday morning.

The first package was sent to former First Lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Chappaqua, N.Y. A second package was sent to former President Barack Obama in Washington, and a third package was sent to the CNN headquarters at the Time Warner Center in New York City.

The U.S. Secret Service confirmed that packages were found addressed to Hillary Clinton and former President Obama.

“Late on October 23, 2018, the Secret Service recovered a single package addressed to Former First Lady Hillary Clinton in Westchester County, New York. Early this morning, October 24, 2018, a second package addressed to the residence of Former President Barack Obama was intercepted by Secret Service personnel in Washington, DC,” the Secret Service statement said.

“The packages were immediately identified during routine mail screening procedures as potential explosive devices and were appropriately handled as such. Both packages were intercepted prior to being delivered to their intended location. The protectees did not receive the packages nor were they at risk of receiving them,” the agency added.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders condemned the attacks in a statement saying, “These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” The Associated Press reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The United States Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies are investigating and will take all appropriate actions to protect anyone threatened by these cowards,” Sanders added.

This story has been corrected to reflect that the package in Washington, D.C. was not addressed to the White House, as previously reported by CNN. 

13K Shares