This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.
The Bordentown, N.J. home of Katie McClure and Mark D’Amico was raided by law enforcement Thursday morning, and the couple’s BMW car was confiscated, this after most of the funds from their GoFundMe campaign that raised $400,000 for a homeless veteran have mysteriously gone missing.
Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina released a statement Thursday morning, saying, “I am confirming that a search warrant was executed early this morning by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office and the Florence Township Police Department at the residence of Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter,” according to a Fox News report.
— Burlco Prosecutor (@BurlcoPros) September 6, 2018
Coffina added that charges have not been filed against the couple at this time.
In 2017, the couple’s story went viral. Homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt gave McClure his last $20 when she ran out of gas. She started a GoFundMe page for him, which raised $400,000 from more than 14,000 donors. After fees, the sum amounted to approximately $360,000.
However, Bobbitt claims he only received $75,000 of the funds. The couple and their attorney insist he received over $200,000.
Video footage from the Thursday raid shows numerous law enforcement present, and a tow truck hauling away the couple’s black BMW, which they purchased this year.
Bobbitt said in court he suspected the GoFundMe money was used to make the purchase of the vehicle, as well as vacations and other items.
Tow truck removes BMW from the Bordentown, NJ property of Katie McClure & Mark D’Amico, where @BurlcoPros is serving a search warrant. The couple is being investigated over funds missing from a $400,000 GoFundMe account they started for homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt @CBSPhilly pic.twitter.com/cxPcFBrw9P
— Trang Do (@TrangDoCBS3) September 6, 2018
McClure works as an administrative assistant for the state of N.J., while D’Amico is a carpenter, which has led some to wonder where they acquired money to spend on gambling, expensive shopping trips, front row seats to shows, and other lavish purchases seen in their social media images.
Several photos posted to Twitter showed law enforcement hauling away bags and boxes of items from the couple’s home.
— Anthony DiMattia (@dailydimattia) September 6, 2018
The couple claimed to be safeguarding the money from Bobbitt due to his drug addiction, which he admitted to fueling with some of the money.
A court battle has been ongoing since Bobbitt and his attorney Chris Fallon filed a lawsuit accusing the couple of spending the money, and demanded they hand over the money promised to him.
Last week, a court ordered the couple to turn over the money by Friday, but no exchange was made.
The couple’s attorney, Ernest Bradway, told Fallon via conference call on Tuesday that the money was gone.
This news comes as a shock to Bobbitt and Bradway, as the couple has repeatedly claimed sums of $200,000 and “well over $150,000” of the GoFundMe money remained in their bank account.
Superior Court Judge Paula Dow said that McClure and D’Amico must appear in court to provide a deposition.
“I am not allowing you to be their voice anymore,” Dow told the couple’s attorney, who has been appearing on the couple’s behalf thus far.