Officials from the Defense Department and White House are beginning the planning stages of President Trump’s proposed military parade, which is currently set for Nov. 10.
The parade was originally proposed for Nov. 11, which is Veterans Day.
— Meet the Press (@MeetThePress) June 28, 2018
After being inspired by France’s Bastille Day Parade, which took place last summer, Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron that “we’re going to have to try to top it.”
Minimal progress had been made on planning the parade until the last few weeks.
The parade hasn’t been a high priority for the Defense Department since Trump sent a memo in late February to Secretary Jim Mattis calling for the event.
A route has now been recommended by officials for the parade, which will begin at the Capitol, run past the White House, and then end at the National Mall.
The parade was originally supposed to be on Nov. 11, which is Veterans Day, but it will now take place on Nov. 10.
The parade will be limited to wheeled military vehicles since there are concerns that tanks could cause damages to the streets.
The event will showcase veterans, Medal of Honor recipients, women in the military and vintage military vehicles.
While an official budget has yet to be created for the event, it appears that the Defense Department will be paying for some of the expenses with its training budget, as pilots who need flight hours as part of their training will be doing a fly-by.
Vehicles from nearby military bases and troops that are stationed near the capitol will be used for the parade, which analysts believe won’t be too costly.
Rep. Mac Thornberry, a Republican from Texas who chairs the House Armed Services Committee, praised the idea of a military parade.
“For too long, our men and women in uniform have been victims of political discord. Honoring those who served in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan should not be a political matter. Veterans of those conflicts did not let politics stand in the way of their service to the country,” Thornberry said.