Conor McGregor turned himself in to New York police hours after he and others attacked a bus filled with UFC 223 fighters at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Thursday, a police spokesman told USA TODAY Sports.
Conor McGregor is making his presence felt here in NYC. Felice Herrig just posted this clip of him on IG going a little wild. 😱 pic.twitter.com/arvUJF1pV2
— Mike Bohn (@MikeBohnMMA) April 5, 2018
McGregor, who was labeled a person of interest earlier in the day, [had] not immediately been charged with any crimes and New York police spokesperson George Tsourovakas said the investigation is ongoing. [McGregor has since been charged with with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief, the New York Police Department told Fox News.]
McGregor, UFC’s lightweight champ and the sport’s biggest star, was seen on video hurling objects at a bus that was leaving the arena for an area hotel at the conclusion of UFC 223’s media day. Police said McGregor and about 10 others “became irate and began throwing various items, damaging property.”
Fighters Michael Chiesa (facial injuries) and Ray Borg (eye injury) were forced from their bouts at UFC 223 as result of the attack. UFC President Dana White also threw Artem Lobov off the card because of his involvement in the incident with McGregor.
“This is the most disgusting thing that has happened in the history of the company,” White said.
In a statement, the UFC called the incident “completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow.”
Rick Little, Chiesa’s coach, told MMAjunkie that Chiesa was “cut up” from shattered glass.
“Conor went bananas and put a beating on the van that we were in looking for Khabib (Nurmagomedov),” said Little, who was on the bus. “A million security guards had to restrain him. Mike’s cut up now. He’s got marks on him, for sure.”
© 2018 USA Today
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.