Four mysterious explosions in Austin this month have killed two people and wounded four more. Police are still trying to determine if all of them are connected.
Here is what we know:
When did the bombings begin?
The first package exploded March 2, killing Anthony Stephan House, 39, when he picked up a package on the front porch of his northeast Austin home. The second bomb went off March 12 inside a home in east Austin. Draylen Mason, 17, was killed and his mother was hospitalized. The third blast came a short time later in a neighborhood south of downtown. A 75-year-old Hispanic woman picked up a package on her front porch when it exploded, seriously injuring her.
What happened in Sunday’s blast?
A bomb blast, possibly set off by a tripwire, injured two men in southwest Austin. Austin Police Chief Brian Manley provided few details on the incident and wouldn’t say whether the explosion was definitively linked to the blasts that have fueled fears across the city. Austin Mayor Steven Adler said Monday that “there are indications it was related to the first three.”
What was different about the latest bombing?
The first three attacks involved suspicious packages left on doorsteps. The package Sunday apparently was left on the side of a road. The latest explosion took place on the west side of Austin, the others were on the east side. Manley said the possible use of a tripwire in Sunday’s blast “changes things.” Authorities had been warning residents not to handle unidentified or suspicious packages left at their homes. Now residents must have an “extra level of vigilance” and not even go near packages, bags or backpacks they see anywhere, he said.
What is the motive for the attacks?
Police say they have no idea why the bomber is setting off the explosions. Before Sunday’s blast, Manley held a televised news conference, pleading for the bomber to come forward. “We assure you, we are listening and we want to understand what brought you to this point, and we want to listen to you, so please call us.” Authorities said hate crimes had been considered. The victims of the first three attacks were black and Hispanic. Sundays victims were white males.
Is there a reward for information?
Manley said a reward was increased to $100,000 from $50,000 for information that leads to an arrest in the case. That, along with an award from the governor’s office, brings the total reward to $115,000.
© 2018 USA Today
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.