Gainesville PD goes viral after posting selfie of ‘hunky’ officers helping in Hurricane Irma recovery(Facebook)
The Gainesville Police Department in Florida has been helping in relief and recovery efforts following the devastation of Hurricane Irma over the weekend.
While their good work is much appreciated, it is the selfies posted to the department’s Facebook page that have not gone unnoticed – they’ve been going viral, and the comments have really made the department smile.
“The hunkapotamus is a rare, elusive, and mythical creature. Here we are lucky see 3 huddled together in the wake of Hurricane Irma. I’m a well trained hunkapotumus handler. Send them my way and they will be well taken care of. Seriously though…” wrote Jaime Lee Daniels on Facebook.
“**Update** I’m single and on the lookout for a good man. Holler at your girl Officer Rengering! Lol,” she added.
Her comment has garnered more than 29,000 “reactions” on the thread.
Daniels’ comment was in response to this post:
The Gainesville Police Department posted the selfie on Sunday with the following caption: “Officers Nordman, Hamill and Rengering… part of the night crew getting ready to do some work.”
However, as the post went viral, the department amended its caption:
1. We are dying with the comments. You’ve actually made our chief blush with some of them.
2. MRS. Nordman and MRS. Hamill have also enjoyed knowing how millions of women are going crazy over their husbands.
3. We can confirm that Officer Rengering (far right with the amazing hair) IS SINGLE.
4. On another note, Officer Rengering is being placed into Cougar Prey Protective Care, similar to the witness protection program for his safety.
5. Please do not call 9-1-1 and request this group respond to your “incident”
6. There WILL be a calendar.
Thank you all for the hilarious comments…they have brightened our time up here. As for the calendar, we are going to try and do something fairly quickly and funds raised will go to Hurricane Irma recovery here in Florida.
One Facebook user commented: “Do a calendar, add puppies and I’m pretty sure we can rebuild Texas and Florida.”
Another Facebook user said: “As if Florida wasn’t already wet enough,” which has more than 245,000 reactions and nearly 10,00 replies so far.
The Gainesville Police Department responded to that comment with this GIF:
Not to be outdone, the Sarasota Police Department also posted a “selfie” of sorts to Facebook, and said the Gainesville Police Department “has nothing on us.”
The Gainesville Police Department shared the post on their viral thread.
Even during tough times, this has been a special lesson that it’s important to still smile and keep perspective.