Suicide bombing on 9/11 anniversary wounds 5 US troops in Afghanistan
A suicide bomber attacked a NATO convoy in Afghanistan.(DoD/ Staff Sgt. William Tremblay) U.S. Soldiers depart Forward Operating Base Baylough, Afghanistan, June 16, 2010, to conduct a patrol.
A suicide bomber wounded six coalition forces, including five U.S. troops, during an attack on a NATO convoy in Afghanistan on Monday, Fox News reported. This attack took place on the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
The five U.S. soldiers and the one Georgian soldier received non-life threatening injuries during the attack around 1:00 p.m. local time, the official told Fox News.
The convoy was hit by a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (IED) near the village of Qal’eh-ye Musa Bala in Parwan province, Afghanistan.
“The wounded service members were taken to the Bagram Airfield hospital for treatment. None of the injuries are considered life-threatening,” an Operation Resolute Support statement read. “The Afghan civilians were evacuated to a local hospital and their condition is unknown at this time.”
A Taliban statement said that 13 Americans were killed, 11 were wounded and three armored vehicles were destroyed in the attack, Reuters reported.
Last week, a suicide bomber attacked Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, injuring three American service members and killing one Afghan linguist.
The leaflets showed a lion chasing a white dog bearing a Qur’anic passage that is meant to represent banners used by the Taliban. In the Muslim community, dogs are perceived as unclean and impure, thus offensive to them.
The United States later apologized for dropping the leaflets.
It is not known if the attack on the NATO convoy was in response to the leaflets.