Divers have found at least one body and some remains as the search for the 10 missing U.S. Navy sailors from the USS John S. McCain continues following the deadly collision with an oil tanker on Sunday off the coast of Singapore.
Adm. Scott Swift, Pacific Fleet Commander, said Tuesday that the body had been found by Malaysian search and rescue teams.
The U.S. Navy is seeking possession of the body that was found and is trying to identify the other remains, Swift said, according to a report.
The search will continue, Swift said, and search and rescue efforts are still underway in coordination with local authorities
Early Tuesday morning, the U.S. Navy’s 7th Fleet tweeted that “[divers] will access sealed compartments located in damaged parts of the ship.”
There was significant damage to the hull of the USS John S. McCain, which resulted in flooding to nearby compartments, including crew berthing, machinery and communications rooms, 7th Fleet officials said, adding that damage control efforts by the crew stopped further flooding. The destroyer made its way back to Changi Naval Base in Singapore on its own power, despite a large hole in its port side.
U.S. Navy Adm. John Richardson yesterday called for a global fleet-wide operational pause of the U.S. Navy, after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore on Sunday, local time, as well as the deadly June incident when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a merchant ship off the coast of Japan and seven sailors died.
The Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) also called for a comprehensive review, in addition to the ongoing investigations for both collisions, respectively.
As for the possibility that the collisions were caused by “cyber intrusion or sabotage,” Richardson tweeted Monday that there are “no indications right now, but [the] review will consider all possibilities.”