9/11 victim’s remains identified nearly 16 years later | American Military News

9/11 victim’s remains identified nearly 16 years later

This is the first victim of the 9/11 terror attacks to be identified since March 2015

9/11 victim’s remains identified nearly 16 years later Featured (Pixabay/Jarmart) National September 11 Memorial and Museum

The remains of a man killed in the 9/11 terror attacks have been identified nearly 16 years later, the New York City Medical Examiner has said.

At the family’s request, the man’s name was withheld, according to the examiner’s office. The man is the first 9/11 victim to be identified since March 2015.

Improvements in DNA testing, analysis and bone extraction have helped match people’s remains with the 2,753 people who were killed when the Twin Towers were destroyed.

Of the 2,753 people killed, 1,641 people have been identified so far.

The unclaimed remains are in a repository at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum in Downtown Manhattan, while the testing is done at a lab in Kip’s Bay, Manhattan.

“This ongoing work is vital because with each new identification, we are able to bring answers to families affected by tremendous loss,” Dr. Barbara Sampson, the city’s chief medical examiner, said.

More than 21,900 pieces of remains were collected following the terror attacks. A process that involves pulverizing the bone fragments to extract DNA has been used more recently to identify victims.