On Tuesday, North Korea accused the United States of pushing the Korean peninsula to “the brink of nuclear war” with the latest move by the U.S. of performing military drills with a pair of bombers along with the South Korean and Japanese Air Forces in a show of strength. The North’s state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) made the accusations after the two supersonic B-1B Lancer bombers were deployed Monday night.
According to Reuters, KCNA reported that the bombers conducted a “nuclear bomb dropping drill against major objects,” adding that Trump and “other U.S. warmongers are crying out for making a preemptive nuclear strike” on North Korea.
“The reckless military provocation is pushing the situation on the Korean peninsula closer to the brink of nuclear war,” KCNA added, as reported by Reuters.
Tensions in the region have been on high for weeks, following multiple provocative actions by the North.
On Monday, North Korea threatened to strengthen its nuclear force “to the maximum” to defend against the United States and continues to conduct ballistic missile tests.
Also on Monday, President Donald Trump said that “under the right circumstances” he’d be “honored” to meet with Kim Jong Un.
Even before the latest show of force by the United States with the pair of bombers, North Korea has threatened to hit the U.S. and its allies in the region with nuclear force.
Late last month, Rodong Sinmun, North Korea’s official newspaper of the North’s Ruling Workers’ Party, warned the United States that they were capable of launching a “super-mighty preemptive strike” against the U.S. and South Korea.
“In the case of our super-mighty preemptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only U.S. imperialists’ invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the U.S. mainland and reduce them to ashes,” the newspaper said, as quoted by Reuters.