SECDEF Says Sirte, Libya Is Now Free Of ISIS6879903205_4be881db20_b
On Tuesday, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter said that the city of Sirte in Libya is now free of ISIS. Carter called Sirte the “single most important nest and stronghold” for ISIS fighters in the middle eastern country.
Carter went on to say that U.S. military airstrikes against ISIS in Sirte have “concluded.” Three ISIS leaders residing in the city were killed in a single coalition airstrike earlier this week. Carter stated that the men were linked to terror plots in Europe.
Another senior defense official confirmed with CNN that all ISIS territories in Sirte have been liberated after several months of airstrikes conducted by the U.S. Libyan ground forces. Carter ended the announcement by stating “we need to crush both the fact and the idea there can be an Islamic State.”
Both the Libyan forces and the U.S. coalition are now preparing for guerrilla attacks from sleeper cells residing within the city.