New documents released on Friday by the FBI pertaining to Hillary Clinton’s server investigation show Clinton and her team withheld approximately 1,000 emails sent between her and General David Petraeus during her tenure as Secretary of State. The 1,000 emails were not part of the 30,000 emails turned over by Clinton at the FBI’s request in 2014. The documents also show Clinton had advised Petraeus to communicate with her through personal email address and not one issued by the Government.
The additional documents were obtained from a federal lawsuit between watchdog group Judicial Watch and the Feds. A heavily redacted FBI summary from August 17, 2015 details an interview with a State Department employee, whose name was not revealed, includes the staff member explaining that the Petraeus emails were withheld.
“CENTCOM records shows approximately 1,000 work-related emails between Clinton’s personal email and General David PETRAEUS, former Commander of CENTCOM and former Director of the CIA,” said the employee. “Most of those 1,000 emails were not believed to be included in the 30,000 emails that IPS was reviewing. Out of the 30,000 emails, IPS only had a few emails from or related to PETRAEUS as well as a few related to Leon PANETTA, former Secretary of Defense.”
Emails released through the Judicial Watch lawsuit also reveal that on January 10, 2009, Hillary Clinton told Gen. Petraeus, “If there is ever anything you need or want me to know, pls use this personal email address. All the best, Hillary.” Petraeus was CENTCOM commander at the time the email was sent.
General Petraeus served as CENTCOM commander from 2008-2010, Commander of the International Security Assistance Force from 2010-2011, and Director of the CIA from 2011-2012. General Petraeus was CIA Director until it was revealed he had been having an extramarital affair with his biography author, Paula Broadwell, and resigned following accusations that he mishandled classified information by sharing it with Broadwell.