5 Dead, 8 Injured In Shooting At Ft Lauderdale Airport – Shooter In Custody
On Friday, a gunman attacked citizens waiting in the baggage claim area at Fort Lauderdale airport, killing five and injuring eight. The shooter has been captured and identified.
If you have tips you want American Military News to investigate please email [email protected]. Your identity will be protected.
The shooter has been named Esteban Santiago, a 26-year-old man whose family says has had a history with mental health issues. Santiago had been under psychiatric treatment and there were reports that he had turned himself in to the FBI claiming that ISIS was telling him to act. He is also a veteran of both the Alaska National Guard and the Puerto Rico National Guard.
On Friday, Santiago flew from Anchorage, Alaska to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport after a stopover in Minneapolis, Minnesota. After retrieving his back from baggage claim, Santiago reportedly grabbed his legally checked gun from his bag, went to the bathroom to load it, came out, and began shooting innocent civilians. When he was out of ammunition he sat on the ground and waiting for authorities to arrive.
One women in a witness video posted to Twitter said “casings were flying all around us.”
Former White House Press Secretary was at the airport at the time of the incident. He tweeted that shots were fired and everyone was running.