Navigation
Download the AMN app for your mobile device today - FREE!
  •  
A1F

Pelosi announces official impeachment inquiry against Trump

Then-President-elect Donald J. Trump and U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi smile for a photo during the 58th Presidential Inauguration in Washington, D.C., Jan. 20, 2017. More than 5,000 military members from across all branches of the armed forces of the United States, including reserve and National Guard components, provided ceremonial support and Defense Support of Civil Authorities during the inaugural period. (DoD photo by U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Marianique Santos)
September 24, 2019

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced formal impeachment proceedings against President Trump on Tuesday.

“I’m announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry,” Pelosi said.

“I’m directing our six committees to proceed with their investigations under that umbrella of impeachment inquiry,” Pelosi said. “The president must be held accountable. No one is above the law.”

Pelosi made the announcement just after 5 p.m. EST after alluding to the announcement at The Atlantic Fest in Washington, D.C.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

“As soon as we have the facts, we’re ready,” Pelosi said Tuesday afternoon at The Atlantic Festival. “Now we have the facts, we’re ready … for later today.”

Pelosi had been resistant to calls for impeachment made by her colleagues on Capitol Hill. However, support for impeachment has been quickly gaining steam recently, with 166 Democrats voicing their support of impeachment action, according to NBC News.

White House Press Secretary responded to Democrat calls for impeachment, saying, “Dems do nothing but weaponize politics when they should be working on behalf of their constituents. President Trump is here in NYC working hard on behalf of our country, while the dems continue to stomp their feet & shout the word impeachment. Nothing new here.”

The latest issue spurring calls of impeachment against Trump is his alleged withdrawal of $391 million in aid from Ukraine as a tactic of pressuring Ukraine to investigate Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.

On Tuesday, Trump confirmed he withheld the aid in June, but did so before the call took place in July to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Also on Tuesday, Trump ordered the full transcript of the call with Zelensky.

“You will see it was a very friendly and totally appropriate call. No pressure and, unlike Joe Biden and his son, NO quid pro quo! This is nothing more than a continuation of the Greatest and most Destructive Witch Hunt of all time!” Trump tweeted.