North Korea Threatens “Catastrophic Consequences” Against “Reckless” U.S. ActionsScreen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.31.33 AM
Late Monday night, North Korea issued a warning to the United States that any “reckless” acts of aggression against the Korean nation would be met with “catastrophic consequences.” The threat comes just after the U.S. announced it was repositioning the U.S. Navy strike group Carl Vinson to the Korean Peninsula in a show of force in response to the recent provocations by North Korea.
“We will hold the U.S. wholly accountable for the catastrophic consequences to be entailed by its outrageous actions,” the spokesman for the nation’s Foreign ministry said, according to North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
The Foreign Ministry spokesman also said that the U.S. Navy’s strike group deployment showed “reckless moves for invading had reached a serious phase”.
Referring to North Korea by its official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), KCNA announced that the North was “ready to react.”
“The DPRK is ready to react to any mode of war desired by the US,” the report said.
Just a day earlier on Sunday, KCNA reported that North Korea was going to boost its nuclear arsenal to defend against the threat of the United States. KCNA quoted a Foreign Ministry official as saying that North Korea’s nuclear weapons are justified based on the U.S. hitting a Syrian airbase with 59 Tomahawk missiles in retaliation of the Syrian regime’s deadly chemical gas attack against its own people.
“Some forces are loud-mouthed that the recent U.S. military attack on Syria is an action of warning us but we are not frightened by it,” the report said.
It also added that the North’s “tremendous military muscle with a nuclear force as its pivot” will be able to defend against any U.S. aggression.
“We will bolster up in every way our capability for self-defense to cope with the U.S. evermore reckless moves for a war and defend ourselves with our own force,” it continued.
Just this weekend, the U.S. Navy strike group Carl Vinson, led by the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, headed towards the Western Pacific Ocean to the Korean Peninsula in a show of force in response to the recent provocations by North Korea.
A press release from the U.S. Navy stated “Admiral Harry Harris, Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, has directed the Carl Vinson Strike Group to sail north and report on station in the Western Pacific Ocean after departing Singapore April 8.”
It went on to say that the strike group “will operate in the Western Pacific rather than executing previously planned port visits to Australia.”