“SIGN OF DISRESPECT” Vets Feel Shafted By Closing Of Security Forces Museum
The plan was to close the Security Forces Museum at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland and reopen it in 2017 as part of a larger structure.
However this has left many in the Air Force community feeling like they got the shaft.
“Our guys are feeling very betrayed, for lack of a better word,” said security police veteran Greg Autry. No vets were consulted and no word has come out if the decision will remain.
A plan to shutter the Security Forces Museum at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland this month — and reopen it as early as 2017 as part of a sprawling enlisted heritage and character development center — has left members of the Air Force’s largest career field feeling shafted.
On Tuesday, nearly 2,500 people had signed a week-old White House petition calling the facility’s closure and planned consolidation with another base museum “a sign of disrespect” toward security forces airmen. It also accuses Air Education and Training Command of making the decision unilaterally — and implores Air Force officials to “consult with and coordinate options with the stakeholders before marginalizing and boxing up our history.”
“Our guys are feeling very betrayed, for lack of a better word,” said security police veteran Greg Autry, who last week formed a Facebook group called Save the Security Forces Museum that had more than 5,100 members Tuesday.
The closing happened quickly and quietly and without regard for what the museum has meant to security forces airmen past and present, he said.
“Whoever made the final decision consulted with no security forces leadership,” Autry said. “They didn’t say anything to the Security Forces Museum Foundation [which helps support the facility] nor the Air Force Security Forces Association. Even after they announced it, I don’t think there was any real communication. We were left out of this entire process.”