Gowdy Indicts Media Over Benghazi
Rep Trey Gowdy (R-SC) will lead the Congressional investigation into the September 11, 2012 terror attack on the American diplomatic installation in Benghazi, Libya. The House voted 232-186 Thursday to form a Select Committee.
If you have tips you want American Military News to investigate please email [email protected]. Your identity will be protected.
Democrats wanted an evenly divided committee, even though there are more Republicans in the House. Republicans announced that the committee would have seven Republican members and five Democrats, so the Democrats are following through with a boycott.
The jockeying for position is part of the messaging game, in which Democrats try to cast the hearings as mere partisan attacks and the Republicans try to say that politics have nothing to do with it. Neither of those things is true, of course: there is something to the Benghazi terrorist attack that the administration is not telling the American people, and Republicans hope to find out what that something is to use against Democrats in 2014 and against Hillary Clinton in 2016.
One of the most troubling aspects of the way the Benghazi scandal has played out is the role of the media. At every turn they have done everything they could to minimize the damage to President Obama, rather than trying to discover the truth and publish it. Here is Rep Gowdy asking them some of the questions he would like them to have already answered:
- Can you tell me why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi the night he was killed? Do you know?
- Does it bother you whether or not you know why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi?
- Do you know why we were the last flag flying in Benghazi, after the British had left and the Red Cross had been bombed?
- Do you know why requests for additional security were denied?
- Do you know why no assets were deployed during the siege?
- Do you know why Susan Rice was picked [to talk on the Sunday shows]?
- Do you know the origin of the mythology that it started in reaction to a YouTube video?
A recent poll found that
- A majority of voters still want a special investigation of the terror attack in Benghazi.
- Hold Hillary Clinton responsible for the murders in Benghazi.
- Believe President Obama and the White House are covering up the truth
Saying to citizens “If you have nothing to hide, why are you trying so hard to hide it?” is an insult, but those in government, even the President, should have to answer that exact sort of question. We know the President has to hide things from the public so that America’s enemies don’t learn what we have in store for them. That doesn’t give our leaders immunity from scrutiny.